Your daily update and the impacts of COVID-19. Here is your April 22 update (based on various military releases)
AD: Depressed. No pre-approvals for Tricare – essential medical treatment for depression and anxiety – Try TMS – a TRICARE approved no-meds approach to depression, anxiety and PTSD. See Mission Valley TMS HERE
>> The Del Mar Gate on Pendleton is REOPENING today for normal business hours: 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
>> Sea duty incentive pay is expanding –see story here: https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112725
>> Great story about support of USS Roosevelt here: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/04/22/most-gratifying-thing-ive-done-in-the-marine-corps-roosevelt-sailors-thank-marines-in-video/
>> Update on San Diego recreation: Parks will be open to the public for the purposes of walking, jogging or hiking. Gathering or congregating in any City park remains prohibited until further notice.
· The public should only visit parks located in their neighborhoods that are easy to walk to and should not be driving to parks. Parking lots will continue to remain closed at City parks until further notice.
· Sports fields (basketball courts, baseball fields, tennis courts etc.) will remain closed. Gathering in parks to play organized team sports remains prohibited.
· Open trails within open space parks will be available for public use with the exception of Cowles Mountain and Los Penasquitos Canyon Preserve Trail which will remain closed.
· Comfort stations at local parks will be open and available for public use.
· Most park amenities, including parking lots, recreation centers, swimming pools, school district joint use areas, dog off-leash areas, bicycle pump tracks, skate parks, visitor centers, nature centers, campgrounds, etc. will remain closed until further notice.
· Patrons visiting City parks must continue to maintain Federal, State and Local social distancing guidelines (maintain a distance from non-family members of at least six feet).
· Patrons are strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings while visiting City parks to help reduce potential spread of the COVID-19 virus.
· Balboa Park Central Mesa and all museums will remain closed, while portions of Morley Field and passive sections of the East and West Mesa will be open.
· Mission Bay Park will remain closed.
· Beaches and boardwalks will remain closed.
· City-operated Golf courses (Balboa Park, Mission Bay and Torrey Pines) will remain closed.
>> Symptomatic government employees who are not beneficiaries are now authorized to be screened if their supervisor certifies them to be essential to the mission (SECDEF memo dated April 7). They will need to provide certification by their supervisor or commander. The template can be found here: https://go.usa.gov/xvngh
>> Who gets testing first across the DoD? Story here: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/military-coronavirus-testing-rollout-to-prioritize-nuclear-forces-troops-in-combat-zones-1.627079
>> Alcohol sales surging at thr Exchanges – story here: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/alcohol-sales-at-exchange-stores-surged-by-50-in-march-aafes-spokesman-says-1.627085
>> The USAF Band of the West needs your help with their next video project. Please provide a 20-30 second video of you and/or your family dancing to the radio version of the Tones and I hit, “Dance Monkey.” Please email your videos to JBSAvim@gmail.com for entry. If selected, your videos will be compiled for use in a video with members of The Band of the West playing that song.
Previous updates …
>> A food distribution drive-thru is open to all military (active, reserve, vets) April 25, 12 pm at SW Cmty College 900 Otay Lakes Rd in Chula Vista. No RSVP, first come, first served.
>> After announcing temporary changes to ID Card office procedures, the Navy has issued additional guidance on expired ID cards. Story here: https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=112706
>> The Marine Corps has suspended the PFT. See story here: https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/21/marine-corps-cancels-fitness-tests-due-coronavirus-pandemic.html
>> FREE WEBINAR – The GI Bill & TA in the era of COVID-19. WHAT’S NEW – HOW TO NAVIGATE ONLINE EDUCATION, ETC. MAY 2 – rsvp to attend here: http://ed.gr/cdloi
>> MCCS Miramar has a chalk contest. Snap a photo of your chalk art creations (Make sure your Military Child is included in the artwork) and submit it to us by April 26. We will select 5 out of all of our entries to vote on best photo. Voting will take place on our Facebook Page from April 27 – 29. We will announce the winner on Thursday, April 30. PRIZE: The winner will receive a $100 MCX Gift Card! HOW TO ENTER: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, comment below with your photo, or send us a message.
>> Naval Base Coronado Community Recreation has assembled DIY Crafts ready for Curb Side pick up….fun for the whole family. Curb side pick up dates will be: Saturday, April 25th from 10am-1pm or Monday, April 27th from 3-6pm. Registration found below: