The following statement explains how the Web sites operated by Ranger Publishing, Inc. collect and use your personally identifiable information. These Web sites include: northwestmilitary.com, weeklyvolcano.com, weeklyvolcanospew.com, fortlewisblog.com, stationedat.com, and taskforcemedia.com.
The basic principle
We will never intentionally disclose your personally identifiable information to any third party for their use without first receiving your express permission. We will not send you e-mail unless you have requested it or unless it’s in the course of a transaction you have initiated.
Free to use
You can access our Web sites and use our services free of charge, but sometimes we will ask you to submit minimal personally identifiable information before accessing them.
The people who make it possible for us to provide free content to you are our advertisers. To enable advertisers to invest their media dollars appropriately, we target advertising through cookies and other methods (described below) and provide advertisers with a general summary about the demographics of our readership and usage of our sites. We never tell our advertisers your identity unless you expressly give us permission to do so.
When do we collect your personally identifiable information?
You must provide some personally identifiable information in order to use some features of our Web sites. Some examples:
- Signing up for e-mail services such as newsletters and e-mail alerts for various types of classified listings
- Participating in online sweepstakes, contests and games
- Participating in online forums
- Placing an online classified ad of various types
- Creating a profile on NorthwestMilitary.com
- Purchasing items such as event tickets and online photos
- Participating in an online survey
What personally identifiable information do we collect?
The information we collect for services such as these will vary, but can include your name, address, zip code, gender, user name, password, e-mail address and phone number. We also collect credit card information for purchases. Wherever we collect personally identifiable information, we will make an effort to link to our privacy statement.
How do we use your personally identifiable information?
We do not share or provide personally identifiable information we may collect, such as names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers with our advertisers without your express permission.
Please note that some of our online sweepstakes or contests are sponsored by advertisers. Aggregated, non-personally identifiable data about contest entries are collected and can be shared with these advertisers. In addition, you may choose to provide your personally identifiable information to these advertisers in exchange for the opportunity to receive future communication from them (such as coupons or special offers). If you do not wish to have your personally identifiable information shared or receive such communication, you will be given a clear choice to opt out of having your personally identifiable information sent to the advertiser, or you will be advised not to enter the contest.
We will not send you e-mail unless you have requested it, or specifically given us permission to contact you in the future, or unless it’s in the course of a transaction you have initiated.
When you submit a comment about a story or topic on one of our Web sites, an editor or reporter may contact you for clarification or for permission to use your comments in the newspaper or other publications of Swarner Communications, Inc.
Who else has access to your personally identifiable information?
- Third-party technology providers: In some cases, the service you sign up for is provided by a third-party technology or content provider. When you use these third-party services offered on our sites, personally identifiable information you provide may be collected directly by these third parties solely in order to deliver the services you have requested. These third-party partners may not use or distribute our users’ information in any capacity outside of the service for which we contracted and they must comply with our privacy policies.
- Transactional partners: In some cases we partner with another company to co-promote their services within our Web sites. In these cases, you are transacting directly with the other party, and the personally identifiable information you enter on those services is shared both with that transactional partner and Swarner Communications. On those pages requiring personally identifiable information, the transactional partner’s brand is clearly visible, and their privacy statement is posted. We encourage you to read it.
How do we use site usage statistics?
Swarner Communications, Inc. collects some information automatically via server logs and cookies. This information can include your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring URLs. We use this information to prepare for peak usage times and ensure a fast-loading site, to help diagnose problems with our servers and to understand which features of our sites are being used and when.
A Web beacon is an invisible graphic on a Web page that is programmed to collect non-personally identifiable information about your use of a given site. Like cookies, web beacons allow Swarner Communications, Inc. and its technology providers to summarize overall usage patterns for our analysis and provide personalized services. We do not share or provide personally identifiable information we may collect, such as names, e-mail addresses and phone numbers with our advertisers without your express permission.
We work with third-party advertising companies who may utilize cookies or web beacons to better provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you. These partners do not have access to or use your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number or other personally identifiable information; they may, however, anonymously track your Web usage across other Web sites in their networks beyond Swarner Communications, Inc. sites.
You may opt-out of the cookies delivered by Swarner Communications, Inc. by changing the setting on your browser. Depending on your privacy settings, please be aware that this may disable all cookies delivered to your browser, not just the ones delivered by Swarner Communications, Inc.
Disclosures Required by Law or for Security and Safety
In general, our sites are not intentionally targeted at children under 13, but some educational areas of our sites are targeted to middle-school and high-school age children. We require written parental consent for children under 13 to register or submit personally identifiable information on our sites.
- Children: Be sure to ask your parents for permission before you send any personally identifiable information about yourself to us or anyone else over the Internet.
- Parents and guardians: We encourage you to get involved with your children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
How to correct and update your personally identifiable information
Swarner Communications, Inc. allows you to change your personally identifiable information through the Profile Center. After logging in, you may select “Your profile” and update the information there, including e-mail address, user name, password and phone number.
Notification of policy changes
We retain the right, at our discretion, to change any of these policies in the future. Our current procedures will be disclosed on this page.
How to contact Swarner Communications, Inc.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of our Web sites, or to resolve a dispute, you can contact us:
Swarner Communications, Inc.
PO Box 731294
Puyallup, WA 98373